Saturday, April 14, 2018

CCB: APPARENTLY NOT MUCH BETTER THAN CNIB

Last summer, I was considering moving and was asking around about the best places in Ontario for blind people to live. I phoned the CCB, Canadian Counsel for the Blind, and was frankly disappointed with my interaction.

First, the woman who answered mainly seemed to be concerned about towns where I could easily get transportation to CCB meetings. I am not a joiner, first of all. Also, I don't see the good in joining a so-called advocacy organization for the blind as in order to advocate for a cause, you technically have to agree with and get along with people, which most blind people don't seem capable of doing.

Furthermore, I haven't heard, or been impacted by, one thing CCB has done for the blind, if they've actually done anything, so why would I want to join?

Also, this woman was a twit. She mentioned getting transportation to eye clinics, and was surprised when I told her my eye condition, retinopathy of prematurity, doesn't require eye doctor visits.

Also, when I suggested Bradford as a town to which to move, she said Bradford didn't have public transit. I spoke to my aunt who lives there and she says Bradford does have public transit, even a service that goes down to Toronto.

Will blind people ever get a holistic Canadian organization that actually does things to improve their lives?

No comments: