Wednesday, November 30, 2016

WORLD GEOGRAPHY WEEK-INTRODUCTION

Several weeks ago I was invited to write posts in commemoration of World Geography Week, which took place November 13-19. I didn't get around to doing so, of course, but I would still like to write the posts I probably would have written anyway.

For a long time, I've had an interest in geography, the places in the world. As a blind person, you get an inward sense, a feeling for a place. The late comedian and blind travel writer Gord Painter understood this.

Despite my interest, I am not very well traveled. I live in southeastern Ontario and have been to a few different parts of this province. I've also spent some extended periods of time in Brantford and Hamilton, so I have a bit more knowledge of that area of southwestern Ontario as well than of other places. In addition, I've been to California twice on vacation, taken a day trip to Bolt Castle in upstate New York (pre 9/11 and Canadians needing a passport to get into the States) and spent a weekend in a suburb of Montreal.

I'd like to travel more. In 2014, I got a passport. However, my extremely limited income as an unemployed blind person and other challenges that come with not being able to see--such as getting to a train station or airport from my small town, prevent this.

Nevertheless, I continue to have a fairly strong interest in the goings-on, customs and cultures of different locales on this little blue planet of ours.

As you've probably guessed by now, I was an odd child. Whenever someone came over to our house, I would ask them about where they'd been outside of Ontario throughout their lives and get them to tell me about their travels. So few people have a passport. Though income limitations naturally prevent many from exploring the globe, its still a darn shame more people who are capable of doing so don't visit different places.

No comments: