Tuesday, December 8, 2015

GOD'S GLASS: A NOVEL

I was sent a copy of this book by the author to review. I read the first three chapters several months ago and had intended to finish the book. Now, however, I have decided to write this review without doing so.

I so wanted to like this book because it is a novel that takes on a subject which needs to be explored: a Christian girl who discovers she is into masochism. However, I just could not make myself continue to read the book for a few reasons.

First, I have no idea where this book is set, something I should know after reading the first three chapters of a novel.

Second, as well within the first three chapters, I should have at least a bit of background information why the main character sees the world in gray and is unable to feel or enjoy anything on an emotional level unless she is experiencing pain, something else the part of the book I read doesn't contain.

Third, the family in this book are Presbyterian. Though I haven't known an enormous number of Presbyterians, those I have known, though some of them are pretty straight-laced, are pretty good, reasonable people, whereas the family in this book, especially the father, acts like some fundamentalist snake handling family from a Hollywood movie.

As I said, this book takes on a subject that needs dealing with in Christian fiction. Aditionally, the main characters voice as a ten year old girl really comes through. These, though, are the only good things I can say about this book.

If anyone has written or knows of another novel which explores this or similar subjects from a Christian perspective, please email me at the address listed on my profile.


In order to fulfill my obligations as reviewer, here is a link where the book can be purchased.

No comments: