Tuesday, April 15, 2014

FORGIVING THE UNTHINKABLE

  Shock And Confusion

We all remember where we were when some of the world's most major tragedies occurred.  My dad can tell you that he was working up in the mines in Sudbury when American president Kenidy was killed.  I have a vague memory of when the Challenger exploded.  We all can pin point that tiny place we inhabited when the towers fell.  How did that make us feel?  I have never asked my dad, and I was on the young side in 1986, but I remember being confused, angry, and sad in 2001.

After that life plotted its course, and the calendar almost made 12 trips around the years.  It was one year ago today that the world stood still yet again as news of bombings at the famed Boston Marithon had occurred.

  Personal Anger

I sat in that fog of shock and disbelief for a couple of days following the tragedy, as the news reports floated around me in ominous heavy sheets.  My shock and disbelief turned in to anger when I found out that one of the fatalities was an eight-year-old boy.  Anger for the fact that he would never drive a car, ask a girl out, get married, hold his children, or realize his God given potential.  I spoke of this anger to a friend of mine, but that brought little comfort.  I just couldn't erase from my head the could have beens, now never wills.

  An Unusual Prayer Request

The Saturday after I went to my church as usual, but still the heavy ball of anger remained.  I sang along with the hymns, went forth at the altar call to pray.  When the pastor did opening prayer he asked for us to pray not only for the victims, but for the salvation of the bombers.  At first I was confused, but then I remembered that Jesus died for us, and that we should extend that Christlike hand even when it seems unforgivable.

Ms. Gillie

1 comment:

Alex Horton said...

A few thoughts on this post.

First, the Boston Marathon bombing itself doesn't make you half as angry as when you find out the U.S. government was behind it. There are many good resources on the internet discussing this.

Second, you get even angrier when you think about how everybody reacted. These buckin people were all like, "Boston strong", yet the people of Boston, and even people across America, cowered in fear in the aftermath.

The one guy got killed and the other guy was arrested. Everybody cheered and celebrated the other brother's arrest, even though three people were dead. ... And it all wrapped up in time for "Dancing With the Stars."

In other countries like India and Israel-lie where this kind of thing happens all the time the citizenry doesn't react the way America did this time last year. They clean up the mess and go on with life. Our society is becoming more and more dysfunctional all the time.

In addition, while this bombing was tragic, there are lots of other tragic things occurring every day in your own community. Instead of getting all bent out of shape about the events south of the border, why not focus more on what's going on all around you.

While the remaining bomber (and some of the U.S. government agents who planned and carried out this attack) can be forgiven, if they don't repent we can be sure they will get there's in Hell.