Tuesday, September 3, 2013

WHAT CBM MEANS TO ME

For posts that are correct and clear,
Use Grammarly,
Sound like Shakespeare.

I first heard about Christian Blind Mission International as it was then known when the local United Church minister brought my mother a catalog for their Talking Book Library. Due to the fact I was blind Mom was always trying to find new sources of reading material for me.




The catalog sat around the house for about a year and then I decided I wanted to start ordering from it. Mom ordered two books for me and after that the Talking Book Library started sending me random titles from their collection.



Being hostile toward Christianity and religion in general at that time I used to make fun of the books, even taping over bits of them at times. Gradually, though, the messages of the books I was being sent began to sink in. Two books that really got through to me were “Don’t Check Your Brains At The Door” by Josh McDowell and “Forty Stories Of Christian Radio” by an author whose name I can’t remember.



It was partially as a result of the books I was getting from CBMI that I became a Christian in August 1998 at forteen (nearly fifteen) years old.



A few years later I went through an intense time of spiritual growth and had a lot of questions. I phoned CBMI one day after school on a whim, figuring they might possibly have someone who could help me. Paul Faucett, the man they connected me with turned out to be an invaluable part of my growth in the Lord. There were times when my worried and fretful teenage mind could hardly wait to get to a phone so I could call this man. Though I know my frequent calls probably annoyed and/or frustrated Paul Faucett, he was always friendly and courteous.



Now the Talking Book Library has closed and the organization under it’s new acronym CBM will now focus on it’s international work. Though I’m not sure how wanting to put their catalog on their website turned into shutting down the Talking Book Library I will always be greatful for what I have gained from this organization.

No comments: