Monday, March 11, 2013

RADIO-RELATED STUFF: MICHAEL SMERCONISH MOVES TO SATELLITE

I like the re-design of the WBCQ website. It is a lot easier to use.

98.9 The Drive was coming in somewhat well today. I think it would have been a good day for DXing but I was too busy to do any.

The departure of Michael Smerconish from terrestrial radio has gotten me thinking about one aspect of the death of the industry. Howard Stern moved to satellite in 2005 and was replaced by three shows, all of which failed. Dr. Laura moved to satellite a few years ago and was replaced on her flagship station by a show that failed after a year. Bill O'Riely gave up his radio show last year and I believe was replaced by Mike Huckaby. I would bet the former governor of Arkansas is not as popular as O'Riely's radio show was back in the day.

Popular hosts leave terrestrial radio but aren't followed by successful replacements.

No comments: