Friday, January 11, 2013

REPLY AWL

In this week's edition of the online Matilda Ziegler Magazine for the Blind, Anne Chiapata writes about the lack of audio description for the blind on TV. I am not a big fan of described video myself, as I have written about on here in the past.

Eventually, all television programming will be described, except the stuff that really should be described which is documentaries with subtitles.

Anne also mentions in her article about recording TV shows with a digital recorder as an alternative for blind people to VCRs and DVRs. As a kid I was constantly taping stuff off the TV with my little tape recorder. I wonder if there's a way you could hook a digital recorder into a TV for better sound quality?

In the same issue, there is an article about online seminars. (I can't say the word "webinar" with any seriousness.) When I attended online seminars in the past for a company I used to work for, I found the experience neat. It was kind of like attending a conference and watching a TV show at the same time.

Speaking of which, in his op-ed piece, Bob Branco writes about a proposal his city has in mind for virtual classrooms. He says these could cause the students to become isolated and cause other problems. Ever heard of homeschooling, Bob?

No comments: